Company: First Transit
Location: New Bedford
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Why Work at First? Excellent question! With over 800 locations
across our divisions, you will have exponential growth opportunity.
Furthermore, because safety is our number one priority, you will
work in a safe and positive work environment every day. Lastly, you
will receive a competitive benefits package that includes: 401k
with company match, paid time off, and a complete insurance plan
after 30 days of employment (health, dental, and vision).
Responsibilities of a Director of Safety
- Administers driver hiring and compliance process (e.g.,
interviewing and driver selection; collecting applications;
criminal background checks; credit reports; drug/alcohol testing;
fingerprint checks; DOT physicals; TB Skin tests; motor vehicle
records checks; I-9 forms).
- Provides direction and guidance to location trainers. Develops
and monitors contents of classroom training to ensure compliance.
Teaches classes as required. Schedules and conducts re-cert and
- Investigates incidents, accidents, and work-related injuries
including accident investigation, accident reports, accident files,
accident register, and follows up with the claims office and
adjusters as necessary. Typically determines fault or
preventability based on the facts identified at the scene. Provides
post-accident counseling with drivers. Retrains drivers as
- Prepares and submits accident-related compliance forms,
maintains files, and enters in DMO, or otherwise submits data to
appropriate person or organization.
- Plans, schedules and conducts monthly safety meetings based on
region and company safety and safety training goals and objectives.
Assists and participates in Safety Action Team meetings. Sets up
regular accident review committees to determine preventability of
accidents. Responds to appeals from drivers.
- Provides assistance and training to drivers and attendants on
passenger management and other safety related issues.
- Performs driver road checks of driver performance (e.g.,
pre-trip checks-lot-to-school and back; post-trip checks).
- May supervise employees with safety and/or driver hiring or
training responsibilities (e.g., Safety Coordinator, Field
Supervisor, Driver Trainers/Instructors). Supervisory
responsibility may range from providing work guidance and
leadership to full supervisory duties* such as hiring, selecting
and training; setting and adjusting rates of pay and work hours;
planning the work; directing tasks/activities; appraising
performance; handling employee complaints; recommending and
applying discipline; and monitoring legal compliance measures.
- Provides various reports and analyzes, including safety trends.
Develops cost saving recommendations. Performs other duties and
projects as assigned.
- Determines appropriate compliance and administrative
forms/requirements and manages the location's safety program based
on regulations and company policy.
- May modify and deliver safety and driver training, either
personally or through staff, based on company policy, region goals
and location needs.
- May provide work direction to Driver Trainers/Instructors.
- May hire drivers based on regulatory requirements, company
policy and driver interviews.
- May hire, train, and develop employees engaged in safety,
driver training and/or compliance processes.
- Administers the location System Security Plan and manages all
Security activity What we would like you to possess:
- 2 to 3 years transportation, safety or related experience
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations regarding
safety and environmental issues
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Word, Excel and
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time
- Good verbal, written and relational communication skills, with
ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels
including drivers, customers, senior management, client
representatives, union officials and general public
- Fluent in English
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and
- Possess working vehicle to travel with in service area as
needed FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also
committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates
applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California,
FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with
criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San
Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance
Keywords: First Transit, New Bedford , Safety Manager, Executive , New Bedford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!